Today I built Stephen Cousins’ SC114 I had been waiting for the headers to arrive from China, but found I had some extra 40pin female headers from my RC2014 kit, and had a 6 pin male header from an Arduino.
It didn’t work when I plugged it in, but after scratching my head for a while I found a bad solder joint, so I fixed it and now it works. 🙂
I plan to use this with Karl Brokstad’s “61c The Missing Module” but I need to wait for the extra headers to arrive to build that.
My RC2014 enclosure arrived today. Looks good I think!
It came with an extra long reset button, but I didn’t install it, instead I will have to use a pencil or something to press the button in the top left hole.
Strangely the LED stopped working, and I thought oh no I broke the whole thing, but it still seems to work even though the LED isn’t lighting up.
If I had known that I was going to break the LED, I’d probably have bought the Spectrum coloured one (which doesn’t have a transparent layer to show the LED.)
Today I got some wire to enable port 1 & 2 and 7 & 8 on my RC2014. I wanted to do this before my official wooden case arrived as I didn’t want to be pulling it apart once I got it in there.
So I started soldering away, and then clipping the extra bits off (which you probably should really wear protective eye wear while doing.) All seemed to go okay. I used my solder sucker for the first time as a couple of times I bridged gaps.
Anyway, I plugged it back in, and…. gibberish. Oh no!
So I inspected the board and noticed I had damaged one of the data tracks, must have been when I was clipping.
I used a bit of wire to bridge the damage tracks.
After a few false starts. (I plugged in the clock module wrong) It works again. Phew.
I’ve spent the last few days learning z88dk and deciding what to build next.
With z88dk I can build C programs for my RC2014, I’ve started building a little library to work with the display using ANSI codes, as it seems like the conio stuff isn’t supported on the RC2014. Then I plan on trying to write some games. I’m not sure how I’ll go as I’ve never had only 32k of RAM before!
At present I can test my programs using my RC2014, via the hexload BASIC program (It loads binary programs and jumps to them), but I’d like to be able to save them and have a disk to work with. So, my next project is to get CP/M going.
To do this, I’m planning on building Stephen Cousins’ SC114 and Karl Brokstad’s 61c “The Missing Module”. I got the board for the 61c from ebay, and decided to source the parts myself this time instead of buying kits on Tindie.
So, now it’s waiting for all my parcels to arrive 🙂
Works! First go too :D
So I couldn’t wait until Monday for my FTDI cable and went to Allen’s electronics, who happened to have something similar, so I bought that.
Got home, spent a little while fussing over getting minicom working, plugged it in, and it worked!
I got stuck in and finished this today, I did the RAM Module, Clock Module and Base-Board then stuck everything together.
If I thought soldering was nerve racking, pushing ICs into sockets was worse! I don’t know how many pins I bent and unbent before getting them all in – too many!
I can’t test it yet, I have a Pi Serial module, but I’m not going to build that until I can see this working, which will require an FTDI USB to Serial cable, which I don’t have.
I’m pretty pleased with my work, but knowing my luck, I’m not really expecting it to actually work.
Ram & Serial Modules Done!
The first module I did today was the Serial Module. I ran into some problems,
One of the holes for one of the resisters was covered over. I must have spilled some solder or something. I eventually got it though.
Another problem was I broke the connection pins one pin to short, so I’ve had to solder the connection out of two segments… It looks OK.
The third problem one of the IC sockets the pin was bent and hadn’t gone through the hole, and I didn’t notice until after I started soldering… oops. Fixed that one too.
After solving those problems, I decided I’d have a go at another one. So I did the RAM module. That one was fairly easy, no troubles there.
So I still have the ROM module, the clock module and the base board and I also have a Pi Zero serial module as well to do, but they will wait for another day.
Cpu Module... Done!
Last year some time I bought an RC2014 kit to build, I started with the CPU module, but stuffed it up, so I ordered a replacement CPU module but didn’t have the courage to try putting it together.
I decided this week I was going to build it, and today I started with the CPU module. Now, my soldering skills are somewhere between none and basic and my hands wobble when I am concentrating, but I think I did alright!
I haven’t plugged in the CPU yet, I thought I’d wait until the rest was built before plugging in ICs. I think it looks ok, though there are a couple of spots I’m a bit nervous about. Time will tell if it will actually work when I’m finished with it.